Below is a list of Edwin Albert Zink’s (1947-2019) accomplishments and the organizations in which he was involved. It is not complete, but gives an idea of the extent of his service to various community efforts and how highly that service was valued.
* 1965 – Durango High School graduate
* 1969 – Fort Lewis College, Durango, Bachelor of Arts degree, business
* Owner/operator, Waterfall Ranch
* Owner/manager, Outdoorsman/Mountain Bike Specialists
* Owner/manager, Waterfall Ranch Outfitters
* Co-founder, StoneAge Water Tools
* Owner/operator, Durango Mountain Bike Camp
* Co-founder, Iron Horse Training Program
Organizations and community service
* Iron Horse Bicycle Classic. Created and volunteered for the Iron Horse Bicycle Classic since its inaugural event in 1972.
* World Mountain Bike Championships in 1990, organized by IHBC committee.
* The IHBC also organized National Mountain Bike Championships in 1986, 1987, and 1992, and hosted a World Cup in 2001. It also organized several Collegiate National Championships.
* The IHBC has supported local cycling programs such as Fort Lewis College Cycling, Durango Wheel Club, Trails 2000 (now Durango Trails), and Durango Devo.
* National Off-Road Bicycle Association (NORBA), board member, served as vice president.
* USA Cycling, board member for 8 years.
* 1996 Atlanta Olympics, served as official and helped design the course.
* Hermosa Creek Watershed Protection Area public task force member.
* City of Durango’s Natural Land Advisory Board (formerly Open Space Advisory Board), board member.
* Trails 2000 (now Durango Trails), founding member and volunteer.
* San Juan Mountains Association, founder and two-time president.
* La Plata County Search and Rescue, volunteer and member.
* Colorado Department of Local Affairs, Search and Rescue Advisory Board member.
* Bureau of Land Management, Southwest Resource Advisory Committee member.
* Bureau of Land Management, National Mountain Bike Task Force member.
* U.S. Forest Service, Forest Supervisor’s Advisory Council, under six different supervisors.
* Animas Consolidated Ditch Company, secretary/treasurer for about 30 years.
* Animas Water Company, served as secretary/treasurer and on board for about 30 years.
* Durango Recreational In-Stream Diversion (RICD) water rights negotiating team member, represented La Plata County residents’ water issues against the oversized RICD filing.
* Colorado Statewide Water Supply Initiative (SWSI) task force member.
Electrical and sustainability
* La Plata Electric Association, board member for 25 years, served as president.
* 4CORE (Four Corners Office for Resource Efficiency), served on the start-up board of directors.
* Heritage for Tomorrow, Durango long-range planning effort, board member.
* Durango Chamber of Commerce, member of board of directors.
* Durango School District, served on Bond Issue Steering Committee to build the new high school, 1970s.
* La Plata County Home Rule, committee member to draft new county charter (the effort failed), early 1990s.
* Durango Industrial Development Foundation, founding member and served on board.
* Animas Mosquito Control District, board member and president.
* La Plata County 4-H, member and leader.
* Foster parents (with Patti Zink) for La Plata County Social Services.
Significant Awards and Recognition
* Ed Zink Day declared by City of Durango and State of Colorado, March 1, 2018.
* Citizen of the Year, 2004, Durango Chamber of Commerce.
* Volunteer of the Year, 2004, La Plata County Search and Rescue.
* Business Supporter of the Year, 1998, La Plata County Fair Board.
* Korbel Cup from USA Cycling, 1997, for Lifetime Achievement in Cycling.
* Honorary Olympic Official, 1996, Atlanta Olympics, Mountain Biking.
* Mountain Bike Hall of Fame inductee, 1992
* Volunteer Tourism Achievement Award, 1993, Colorado Tourism Board.
* Volunteer of the Year, 1990, Durango Area Chamber Resort Association
* Mountain Bike Specialists (MBS) named one of the Top 100 Bicycle Shops in America, 2013-2020, National Association of Independent Bicycle Dealers.
* MBS named Top Mountain Bike Shop in the U.S., 2016, National Association of Independent Bicycle Dealers.
* MBS named Business of the Year, 2007, Durango Chamber of Commerce.